Thursday, September 6, 2012

The next American Idol?

While Jonah has for some time been able to recite portions of books, songs, nursery rhymes and the like, he has recently been able to repeat longer and longer sections of favorite books and some songs in their entirety. Yesterday morning, I overheard him singing portions of On Top of Spaghetti while I was cleaning up the breakfast dishes (in particular, he was singing the portion about rolling under the bush, being nothing but mush, growing into a tree covered with moss, etc.). He currently loves to go round and round poles (on the playground), Ben's and my legs, or just about anything and sing Ring Around the Rosie, and I've heard a fair amount about London Bridge. He has recently asked both Ben and me to increase the number of songs we sing to him before he goes to bed: he insists that I sing him "three songs in the crib," and thereafter, "one song in the dark," as I leave the light on while I sing the first three to him.

But it definitely melts our hearts to hear Jonah sing Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. He will launch into it at the most random moments, and he often turns it into an ongoing round, which I'm sure we will eventually tire of. I was able to capture him at one of these moments while we were on a hike at Lapham Peak on Sunday:


I need to go back to think of other popular nursery rhymes and songs to sing/recite with him as he definitely is seeming open to it at this point!

1 comment: