Friday, February 25, 2011

The Misadventures of Mr. Monkey

Mr. Monkey, one of Jonah's first toys (and a favorite from his activity center), joined me on my recent trip to Istanbul, and I decided to document his journey.
After getting through security, Mr. Monkey was thrilled to see that his first flight on the way to Istanbul was showing as "On Time."


Mr. Monkey thought about getting out some cash, but unfortunately the ATM was out of order.

Mr. Monkey also scoped out some Super Bowl Champion Packers merchandise at the news stand.

Mr. Monkey was thrilled to be upgraded to first class for the first two legs of his trip to Istanbul.

Mr. Monkey enjoyed the extra leg room!

In Detroit, Mr. Monkey stopped to watch the really cool world fountain for a little while. 
Mr. Monkey also enjoyed the colors and music in the tunnel between the A and B terminals.

Despite a delayed flight and the chance of missing his connection to Istanbul, Mr. Monkey kept smiling.

Mr. Monkey thought the first class seats on the second flight were even better than the first!

Mr. Monkey enjoyed watching the scenery out the window.




Phew! Even with the delay, Mr. Monkey made it to his flight to Istanbul.

Mr. Monkey watched things happen at the airport while waiting for the plane to take off.

Mr. Monkey wondered how far he is going to travel and how long it would take. 

All tuckered out after a long day, Mr. Monkey took a nap.

Mr. Monkey was thrilled to arrive at Atatürk International Airport in Istanbul.

Because it was the biggest plane he had ever been on, Mr. Monkey stopped to look back at the plane that brought him to Istanbul.

After getting his visa and going through passport control, Mr. Monkey picked up his checked luggage.

Mr. Monkey checked out the view from his hotel room at the Nippon Hotel.
Mr. Monkey sent some quick emails to let family know he made it to Istanbul safely.

Then Mr. Monkey decided a little nap was a good idea to prepare for seeing the city later in the day.

When he woke up, Mr. Monkey took a shower using all the nice amenities provided by the hotel.

Mr. Monkey was amused by this little card that told him to "Have o nice stay."

Mr. Monkey chose to have lunch at "The House Cafe" on Istiklal Caddesi.

Mr. Monkey settled on Turkish Meatballs served on a garlic aubergine mash for lunch.


After lunch, Mr. Monkey made his way to the Galata Tower to get a 360 degree view of Istanbul.

Mr. Monkey visited the Yeni Cami (New Mosque).
I had been thinking about putting together a little book for Jonah with these photos, but unfortunately he fell out of my pocket at some point (or he really liked Istanbul and decided to stay). I searched all over and retraced my exact steps to the place I took this picture, but alas, unsuccessfully. Because it was raining, I kept  putting my camera under my jacket. I suspect this popped him out at some point.

I know this was probably more sad for me than it will be for Jonah when he is old enough to remember Mr. Monkey, but I was really upset by this.. I may even try to see if it is possible just to get a replacement monkey. 

I will be sure to use a pet leash the next time I bring stuffed company on a business trip. :)

More pictures from the trip are posted in my picasa album. I will be posting more soon, including a refresh of the ones already in the album with captions.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful adventure! I hope, somehow, Mr. Monkey finds is way home so that he and you can go on more adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the adventures of Mr Monkey and I'm glad he had such a good time that he decided to stay in Istanbul. Let's hope some deserving child finds him and gives him a good home and all the love he used to get from Jonah.

    ReplyDelete