Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Art Lesson

It was raining a bit this afternoon and Jonah didn't want to go down for his nap, so I decided to seize the opportunity to do a little art project that I'd had in the back of my mind for a while: a nice seasonal tree made with hand prints in paint.  Doesn't sound like it would be that difficult to make, right?  Right?!?


The goal of today's project.

Source: None via Michelle on Pinterest

Hahahahah.  Let's just say that I learned a few lessons today, namely
  • to be certain to have everything set up before plunking Jonah in his seat,
  • that painter's tape is your friend if you want to keep a 16-month old from removing the newspaper you put down to protect your surface, 
  • that making four of these at one time is perhaps an ambitious idea,
  • to consider removing all unnecessary clothing before letting a toddler put his hands in paint,
  • that a bath afterwards will be required,
  • that there is no way that your project will ever look as nice and neat as the ones you see pictured on the Internet, and 
  • that I have no idea how they've kept Jonah as neat as he has been while doing art projects at day care!
 That said, we did accomplish some painting with some pretty cute results, and Jonah certainly had a good time, as evidenced by this selection of photos.

This is where Mommy thought she might have a heart attack.
I love hitting my hands against the table. See how quickly I move them!
I know I've made a big mess.  And boy was it fun!
I'm proud of myself.  What a good afternoon's work.
Oh look, I can use my socks and pants as a canvas too!

Jonah learned a bit about color and about how tempera paint feels in his hands (he LOVED just squishing it around and banging his hands against the newsprint), and Mommy learned a bit about patience and expectations for a 16-month old... Thankfully, everything washed out and we learned some things to have a better experience next time. If anyone has some tips or tricks, we would be more than happy to hear them as well!

4 comments:

  1. This is especially amusing since the thoughts coming home from daycare used to be, "How does he get so messy??" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this might be one of my favorite posts thus far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Russ! I laughed hysterically at this one, especially when he put his painty hands on his head. Thanks for sharing, and tell Jonah he made Grammy's day :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like Jonah had a blast! I'll keep these lessons in mind when Eli and I start making crafts next year. :)

    ReplyDelete